I tend to overpay for Halloween costumes, because I do so much of my shopping online. I’m willing to pay for that convenience. Still, even I have limits. Livia and I needed antennae for our costumes, and all the antennae I found online were ridiculously expensive. I refuse to pay a lot of money for something that is, essentially, a cheap headband with some wire attached to it.
I’m no Martha Stewart, but I can get crafty in a pinch. We already had headbands, so all we needed was some kind of wire. I figured pipe cleaners would do. Normally we have pipe cleaners on hand, too, but we had run out. So I bought us a big package of pipe cleaners in assorted colors.
We had so much fun picking out colors to match our costumes, and figuring out how to attach the antennae and make them strong enough to stay vertical. Here’s what we came up with.
I’m glad now that the antennae were so expensive online. Had they been cheaper, Livia and I would have missed out on this fun project. The finished product is surprisingly sturdy, too. Livia has been wearing her antennae on and off for two days, and they’re holding up well. I’m really happy with how they turned out. It’s good to be crafty in a pinch!